When it comes to a comforting classic like chicken pot pie, finding the perfect side dish can elevate your dining experience. Whether you’re hosting a family dinner or a cozy get-together with friends, the right accompaniments can turn a simple meal into a culinary delight. In this article, we will explore 15 mouthwatering side dishes that pair seamlessly with the savory goodness of chicken pot pie.
Table of Contents
What to Serve with Chicken Pot Pie?
1. Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes: The Perfect Companion for Chicken Pot Pie
What better way to enhance the dining experience of your chicken pot pie than by introducing the velvety indulgence of make-ahead mashed potatoes? Here’s why this classic side dish deserves a spot on your dinner table:
- Creamy Harmony: The creamy texture of mashed potatoes complements the rich and savory filling of chicken pot pie, creating a perfect harmony of flavors and textures in every bite.
- Convenience at its Best: By preparing these mashed potatoes ahead of time, you not only save yourself from the last-minute kitchen hustle but also ensure a seamless and stress-free dining experience for you and your guests.
- Buttery Bliss: The addition of butter to the mashed potatoes brings a luscious and indulgent flavor, elevating the overall taste profile of the meal. The buttery goodness adds a touch of luxury to the comforting warmth of the chicken pot pie.
In summary, make-ahead mashed potatoes aren’t just a side dish; they’re a culinary enhancement to your chicken pot pie dinner. From the convenience of preparation to the luxurious buttery flavor, these mashed potatoes contribute to a memorable dining experience that will have your guests talking long after the meal is finished.
2. Roasted Squash Salad with White Beans, Bread Crumbs, and Preserved Lemons: A Symphony of Flavors
For those seeking a fresh and vibrant companion to their chicken pot pie, the roasted squash salad is a culinary masterpiece. Here’s why this salad, featuring roasted squash, white beans, crunchy bread crumbs, and zesty preserved lemons, is a delightful contrast to the richness of the pot pie:
- Vibrant Freshness: The roasted squash brings a burst of vibrant color and freshness to the table, creating an appealing visual contrast to the hearty and comforting chicken pot pie.
- Textural Delight: The combination of white beans and crunchy bread crumbs introduces a delightful variety of textures. The creaminess of the beans, the crispiness of the crumbs, and the tenderness of the roasted squash create a symphony of textures that keeps each bite interesting.
- Zesty Zing: The addition of preserved lemons adds a zesty and citrusy zing to the salad, cutting through the richness of the pot pie. The contrasting flavors add a layer of complexity, making each forkful a journey of taste sensations.
- Balancing Act: The roasted squash salad serves as a perfect counterbalance to the hearty and savory chicken pot pie. The lightness of the salad refreshes the palate between bites, ensuring a well-rounded and satisfying dining experience.
In conclusion, the roasted squash salad with white beans, bread crumbs, and preserved lemons isn’t just a side dish, it’s a culinary symphony. From the vibrant colors to the varied textures and zesty notes, this salad enhances the overall dining experience, making it a must-have accompaniment to your chicken pot pie feast.
3. Blistered Green Beans with Bacon Vinaigrette: A Flavorful Twist to a Classic Side
Elevating the humble green bean to new heights, the blistered green beans with bacon vinaigrette is a culinary revelation. Here’s why this side dish, featuring a touch of bacon vinaigrette, is set to become a favorite among both kids and adults:
- Textural Delight: The blistering process imparts a slight crunch to the green beans, creating a textural delight that contrasts beautifully with the softness of the chicken pot pie. The combination of textures adds an extra layer of enjoyment to the meal.
- Smoky Undertones: The addition of bacon vinaigrette introduces smoky undertones that elevate the flavor profile of the green beans. The savory and smoky notes create a harmonious partnership with the richness of the pot pie, providing a delightful twist to the overall dining experience.
- Kid-Friendly Appeal: The appealing crunch and smoky flavors make blistered green beans with bacon vinaigrette a hit with both kids and adults. It’s a creative way to encourage vegetable consumption, and the bacon vinaigrette adds a familiar and beloved taste that even the pickiest eaters will appreciate.
- Versatility on the Plate: This side dish not only adds a burst of flavor to your chicken pot pie meal but also contributes visual appeal with the vibrant green color of the beans. It’s a versatile addition that enhances the overall aesthetic of your dinner spread.
In summary, blistered green beans with bacon vinaigrette goes beyond being a simple side—it’s a culinary adventure. The combination of textures, smoky undertones, and kid-friendly appeal make it a perfect accompaniment to the classic chicken pot pie, ensuring a meal that is not only comforting but also full of exciting and complementary flavors.
4. Crispy Bacon-Wrapped Brussels Sprouts: A Symphony of Savory Delight
Turn skeptics into enthusiasts with a side dish that marries the crispiness of bacon with the tenderness of Brussels sprouts. Here’s why these crispy bacon-wrapped Brussels sprouts are set to become the star of your chicken pot pie dinner:
- Flavorful Harmony: The combination of crispy bacon and tender Brussels sprouts creates a flavorful harmony that perfectly complements the heartiness of chicken pot pie. The savory notes from the bacon enhance the overall taste experience, making each bite a delightful adventure.
- Textural Contrast: The contrast between the crispiness of the bacon and the tenderness of the Brussels sprouts adds a satisfying textural element to the meal. It’s a symphony of textures that keeps your palate engaged and makes this side dish a memorable addition to your dinner spread.
- Crowd-Pleasing Appeal: Brussels sprouts skeptics will be converted into enthusiasts once they experience the delectable flavors of these bacon-wrapped wonders. The bacon not only adds a smoky and salty kick but also brings a universally loved element that appeals to a wide range of tastes.
- Visual Appeal: The presentation of bacon-wrapped Brussels sprouts is not only delicious but visually appealing. The golden crispiness of the bacon against the vibrant green of the sprouts adds a touch of elegance to your dinner table, making it a feast for both the eyes and the taste buds.
In conclusion, these crispy bacon-wrapped Brussels sprouts are more than just a side dish—they’re a culinary triumph. With a perfect balance of flavors, textures, and visual appeal, they are a must-have accompaniment to your chicken pot pie, turning your dinner into a memorable gastronomic experience.
5. Elotes Style Corn with Furikake: A Fusion of Mexican Street Corn and Japanese Flair
Infuse your meal with the vibrant flavors of Mexican street corn by adding elotes style corn with a unique twist, sprinkled furikake. Here’s why this fusion side dish is the perfect balance of sweetness, savory notes, and harmonious flavor:
- Mexican Street Corn Magic: Elotes style corn brings the irresistible flavors of Mexican street corn to your dinner table. The combination of sweet corn, creamy mayo, crumbly cheese, and a hint of lime provides a burst of flavor that complements the heartiness of chicken pot pie.
- Savory Elevation with Furikake: The addition of furikake takes this classic Mexican dish to new heights by introducing savory Japanese flavors. The umami-rich furikake, typically a blend of seaweed, sesame seeds, and other seasonings, adds depth and complexity, creating a unique and unforgettable taste.
- Harmonious Blend of Sweet and Savory: The sweetness of the corn and the savory notes of furikake create a harmonious blend of flavors on the palate. Each bite is a journey that starts with the natural sweetness of the corn and finishes with the umami richness of the furikake.
- Visual and Flavorful Appeal: The vibrant colors of elotes style corn, enhanced by the sprinkle of furikake, make for a visually stunning side dish. Beyond its appearance, the flavor combination ensures that this dish is not only pleasing to the eyes but also a delightful addition to your chicken pot pie feast.
In summary, elotes style corn with furikake is more than a side dish—it’s a culinary fusion that adds a burst of creativity to your meal. The marriage of Mexican street corn and Japanese furikake creates a flavor profile that is both exciting and comforting, making it a standout accompaniment to the classic chicken pot pie.
6. Pear and Prosciutto Rocket Salad: A Refreshing Balance to Chicken Pot Pie
Balance the indulgent richness of chicken pot pie with a refreshing pear and prosciutto rocket salad. Here’s why this combination of sweet pears, salty prosciutto, and peppery arugula creates a palate-cleansing experience that elevates your overall dining satisfaction:
- Refreshing Contrast: The inherent sweetness of pears provides a refreshing contrast to the savory and hearty chicken pot pie. Each juicy bite of pear cleanses the palate, preparing it for the next delicious forkful of pot pie.
- Salty Elegance of Prosciutto: The saltiness of prosciutto adds an elegant and savory component to the salad. Its delicate yet rich flavor profile enhances the overall taste experience, offering a sophisticated counterpoint to the comforting pot pie.
- Peppery Punch of Arugula: The peppery notes of arugula contribute a zesty and bold element to the salad. This peppery punch not only complements the sweetness of the pears but also adds a layer of complexity, turning the salad into a well-rounded and satisfying side.
- Palate-Cleansing Magic: As you alternate between bites of chicken pot pie and the pear and prosciutto rocket salad, the combination acts as a palate cleanser. The lightness and vibrancy of the salad refresh the taste buds, ensuring that each bite of pot pie is savored anew.
In conclusion, the pear and prosciutto rocket salad isn’t just a side dish—it’s a palate-cleansing interlude that enhances the overall dining satisfaction. The careful balance of sweet, salty, and peppery flavors makes it a perfect companion to the rich and hearty chicken pot pie, creating a dining experience that is both comforting and refreshingly delightful.
7. Healthy Corn and Zucchini Fritters: A Crunchy Delight for Your Chicken Pot Pie
Elevate your meal with a hint of crunch by introducing these healthy corn and zucchini fritters. The perfect combination of sweet corn and savory zucchini, crisped to perfection, adds a delightful texture that pairs exceptionally well with the creamy chicken pot pie. Here’s why these fritters are a must-have side dish:
- Textural Harmony: The fritters bring a satisfying crunch to your meal, creating a delightful textural contrast to the velvety filling of the chicken pot pie. It’s a symphony of textures that makes each bite a culinary adventure.
- Sweet and Savory Fusion: The sweet notes of corn and the savory essence of zucchini come together in these fritters, creating a harmonious fusion of flavors. The balance between sweetness and savoriness enhances the overall taste experience, making it a standout addition to your dinner spread.
- Crisped to Perfection: The art of crisping these fritters to perfection ensures that each bite is golden and satisfyingly crunchy. This attention to detail adds a layer of craftsmanship to the dish, elevating its appeal and making it a visually enticing side.
- Exceptional Pairing with Chicken Pot Pie: The inherent crunchiness of the fritters makes them an exceptional pairing with the creamy and hearty chicken pot pie. It not only provides a textural counterpoint but also introduces a lightness that complements the richness of the pot pie.
In summary, healthy corn and zucchini fritters aren’t just a side dish—they’re a textural and flavorful enhancement to your chicken pot pie experience. The fusion of sweet and savory, combined with the crisp perfection of the fritters, ensures that your meal is not only delicious but also a celebration of culinary craftsmanship.
8. Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan: Elevate Your Chicken Pot Pie Feast with Sophistication
For a touch of classic elegance, consider the timeless pairing of roasted asparagus with Parmesan. The nutty richness of Parmesan perfectly complements the earthy flavor of asparagus, adding a level of sophistication to your chicken pot pie feast. Here’s why this side dish is a must-have for those seeking a refined dining experience:
- Classic Elegance: Roasted asparagus with Parmesan is a classic choice that brings an air of sophistication to your dinner table. The simplicity of the ingredients allows the natural flavors to shine, creating a side dish that is both timeless and elegant.
- Nutty Parmesan Richness: The addition of Parmesan introduces a nutty richness that enhances the overall flavor profile of the dish. The savory and slightly salty notes of Parmesan elevate the asparagus, transforming a humble vegetable into a gourmet experience.
- Balance of Earthy Flavors: Asparagus, known for its earthy and slightly bitter notes, finds a perfect balance with the nuttiness of Parmesan. The combination of these flavors creates a harmonious blend that adds depth and complexity to the side dish.
- Visual Appeal: Beyond its exquisite taste, roasted asparagus with Parmesan is visually appealing. The vibrant green of the asparagus against the golden hues of the melted Parmesan creates a picturesque presentation that adds to the overall aesthetic of your dinner spread.
In conclusion, this side dish isn’t just about roasted asparagus with Parmesan—it’s about bringing a touch of sophistication to your chicken pot pie feast. The classic elegance, nutty richness, and visually pleasing presentation make it a standout addition, ensuring that your dining experience is not only delicious but also a celebration of culinary refinement.
9. Miso Mashed Potatoes: Elevate Your Comfort Food with a Japanese-Inspired Twist
Give your mashed potatoes a flavorful upgrade by infusing them with the rich umami goodness of miso paste. This Japanese-inspired twist not only adds depth to the dish but also harmonizes seamlessly with the savory filling of your chicken pot pie. Here’s why Miso Mashed Potatoes are a game-changer:
- Umami Infusion: Miso paste, known for its umami-rich profile, introduces a layer of complexity to the mashed potatoes. The savory and slightly salty notes enhance the overall taste, creating a nuanced flavor profile that goes beyond the traditional comfort of mashed potatoes.
- Perfect Harmony with Chicken Pot Pie: The umami boost from miso paste is a perfect complement to the savory chicken pot pie filling. The depth of flavor in the Miso Mashed Potatoes harmonizes with the richness of the pot pie, creating a cohesive and satisfying dining experience.
- Japanese-Inspired Elegance: Incorporating miso paste into mashed potatoes adds a touch of Japanese-inspired elegance to your meal. It’s a creative way to infuse international flair into a classic dish, showcasing the versatility of mashed potatoes in embracing diverse culinary influences.
- Versatility on the Plate: Miso Mashed Potatoes not only enhance the flavor of your chicken pot pie but also contribute visual appeal. The specks of miso in the creamy potatoes add a unique visual element, making your meal both enticing and memorable.
In summary, Miso Mashed Potatoes go beyond the ordinary—they’re a culinary adventure that elevates your comfort food experience. The umami infusion, perfect harmony with chicken pot pie, Japanese-inspired elegance, and versatile presentation make them a standout side dish that will have your guests savoring every bite with delight.
10. Ten-Minute Sautéed Broccolini (Broccoletti): A Quick and Vibrant Addition to Your Chicken Pot Pie Feast
In the hustle and bustle of meal preparation, turn to the quick and delightful option of sautéed broccolini when time is of the essence. This side dish, with its vibrant green hues and crisp texture, not only adds visual appeal to your chicken pot pie spread but also delivers a burst of deliciousness. Here’s why Ten-Minute Sautéed Broccolini is a must-have for your busy yet flavorful meal:
- Time-Efficient Delight: In just ten minutes, you can whip up a tasty side dish that complements your chicken pot pie. The efficiency of preparation ensures that you can serve a visually stunning and delicious addition to your table, even on the busiest days.
- Vibrant Green Hues: The vibrant green color of broccolini adds a fresh and lively element to your dinner spread. The visual appeal creates an inviting atmosphere, enticing your guests to indulge in the vibrant and wholesome side dish.
- Crisp Texture: The crisp texture of sautéed broccolini provides a satisfying crunch that contrasts with the creamy filling of the chicken pot pie. It’s a textural delight that adds an extra layer of enjoyment to your meal.
- Versatile Accompaniment: Sautéed broccolini’s simplicity makes it a versatile accompaniment. Its neutral yet delightful flavor profile ensures that it pairs well with the savory notes of the pot pie, enhancing the overall dining experience.
In conclusion, Ten-Minute Sautéed Broccolini is not just a time-saving option—it’s a culinary gem that adds both beauty and flavor to your chicken pot pie feast. With its vibrant green hues, crisp texture, and quick preparation, this side dish is a testament to the idea that deliciousness doesn’t have to be sacrificed, even when time is limited.
11. Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread with Miso: A Spicy, Cheesy, and Umami-Infused Delight
Spice up your meal with a twist on the classic, Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread infused with miso. This combination of heat from jalapeños, richness from cheddar, and depth from miso transforms a simple cornbread into a standout element of your meal. Here’s why this cornbread is not just a side but a flavorful sensation:
- Fiery Heat of Jalapeños: The inclusion of jalapeños adds a kick of fiery heat to the cornbread. This spicy element awakens the taste buds and brings an exciting dimension to your meal, perfectly complementing the heartiness of the chicken pot pie.
- Richness from Cheddar: The addition of cheddar cheese contributes a layer of richness and creaminess to the cornbread. The melted cheddar creates pockets of gooey deliciousness, adding a comforting and indulgent quality to each slice.
- Umami Depth from Miso: The infusion of miso brings an umami depth that takes the cornbread to new heights. Miso’s savory and complex flavors elevate the overall taste experience, creating a cornbread that goes beyond the ordinary.
- Standout Element of Your Meal: While traditionally a side, this Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread with Miso becomes a standout element of your meal. Its bold flavors and unique combination make it a talking point, ensuring that your dinner is not only comforting but also memorable.
In summary, this cornbread is a symphony of flavors—spicy, cheesy, and umami-rich. The Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread with Miso transforms a simple side into a culinary adventure, making it an essential and unforgettable part of your chicken pot pie feast.
12. Harvest Salad with Quinoa and Arugula: A Seasonal Symphony to Complement Chicken Pot Pie
Embrace the vibrant flavors of the season with a refreshing Harvest Salad featuring quinoa and arugula. The combination of nutty quinoa, peppery arugula, and a medley of harvest-inspired ingredients creates a symphony of tastes that not only balances but enhances the heartiness of your chicken pot pie. Here’s why this salad is a must-have for a well-rounded dining experience:
- Seasonal Freshness: The harvest salad brings a burst of seasonal freshness to your meal. Incorporating ingredients that are in-season not only ensures optimal flavor but also adds a dynamic and colorful element to your dinner spread.
- Nutty Quinoa Goodness: The inclusion of nutty quinoa not only adds a delightful crunch to the salad but also contributes a protein-packed element. This wholesome grain complements the chicken pot pie, providing a well-rounded and satisfying dining experience.
- Peppery Punch of Arugula: The peppery notes of arugula contribute a zesty and bold element to the salad. Arugula’s unique flavor profile provides a refreshing contrast to the heartiness of the pot pie, ensuring that each bite is a harmonious balance of tastes.
- Harvest-Inspired Medley: The medley of harvest-inspired ingredients, whether it be seasonal fruits, nuts, or roasted vegetables, adds a variety of textures and flavors. This diverse combination elevates the salad, making it a celebration of the abundance and richness of the season.
In conclusion, the Harvest Salad with Quinoa and Arugula isn’t just a salad—it’s a seasonal symphony that enhances the overall dining experience. The blend of seasonal freshness, nutty quinoa, peppery arugula, and a harvest-inspired medley ensures that each forkful is a celebration of the flavors of the season, creating a perfect harmony with the heartiness of your chicken pot pie.
14. Cauliflower Fried Rice: A Low-Carb Twist Packed with Flavor
Transform your meal with a health-conscious alternative by swapping traditional rice for Cauliflower Fried Rice. Packed with vegetables and savory flavors, this low-carb side dish adds a nutritious element to your meal without compromising on taste. Here’s why Cauliflower Fried Rice is a delicious and guilt-free addition:
- Low-Carb Alternative: By replacing traditional rice with cauliflower, you’re introducing a low-carb alternative to your meal. This health-conscious choice is perfect for those looking to reduce their carbohydrate intake without sacrificing the satisfaction of a flavorful side dish.
- Vegetable-Packed Goodness: Cauliflower Fried Rice is not just about the cauliflower—it’s a medley of vegetables. The inclusion of colorful veggies like carrots, peas, and bell peppers adds both nutritional value and a vibrant visual appeal to the dish.
- Savory Flavor Explosion: The savory flavors infused into the cauliflower rice make it a standout side. The use of soy sauce, garlic, and other seasonings ensures that each bite is a burst of umami-rich goodness, making it a satisfying complement to your chicken pot pie.
- Versatile and Health-Conscious: Cauliflower Fried Rice is not only a delicious side dish but also a versatile one. It caters to a health-conscious audience while providing a satisfying and flavorful alternative to traditional rice-based sides.
In summary, Cauliflower Fried Rice is more than just a low-carb alternative—it’s a health-conscious, vegetable-packed, and flavor-rich side dish that elevates your meal. By incorporating this guilt-free option, you’re not only making a mindful choice but also adding a tasty and nutritious element to your chicken pot pie feast.
14. Hasselback Butternut Squash: A Visually Stunning Delight for Your Chicken Pot Pie Feast
Elevate your dinner table and impress your guests with the visually stunning Hasselback Butternut Squash. The thin slices and caramelized edges of this squash offer a delightful combination of sweetness and texture that pairs beautifully with the savory notes of your chicken pot pie. Here’s why this side dish is not only visually appealing but also a culinary delight:
- Visually Striking Presentation: The hasselback technique turns an ordinary butternut squash into a work of art. The thin, evenly spaced slices create a visually striking presentation that adds an element of sophistication to your dinner table, making it a feast for the eyes.
- Caramelized Edges for Sweetness: The caramelization of the edges during roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the butternut squash. This sweet and slightly crispy exterior complements the savory chicken pot pie, creating a perfect balance of flavors on the palate.
- Textural Delight: The hasselback technique not only enhances the visual appeal but also contributes to a textural delight. The thin slices result in a tender interior with a slightly crunchy exterior, offering a mouthwatering combination that adds an extra layer of enjoyment to your meal.
- Perfect Pairing with Chicken Pot Pie: The sweet and caramelized profile of the Hasselback Butternut Squash makes it a perfect pairing with the savory and hearty chicken pot pie. The contrasting flavors create a culinary symphony that elevates the overall dining experience.
In conclusion, Hasselback Butternut Squash goes beyond being a side dish—it’s a culinary masterpiece that enhances both the visual and gustatory aspects of your chicken pot pie feast. The visually striking presentation, caramelized sweetness, and textural delight make it a standout addition that will leave your guests impressed and delighted.
15. Crispy Green Bean ‘Fries’: A Playful Twist for a Light and Crispy Contrast to Chicken Pot Pie
Add a playful and delicious twist to classic green beans by transforming them into Crispy Green Bean ‘Fries.’ With a crunchy exterior and a tender interior, this side dish not only brings a fun element to your meal but also provides a light and crispy contrast to the creamy chicken pot pie. Here’s why these ‘fries’ are a must-try addition to your dinner spread:
- Playful and Fun Appeal: The ‘fries’ concept brings a playful and fun appeal to the traditional green bean. The familiar shape and crispy texture make them an approachable and enjoyable side dish, adding a touch of whimsy to your chicken pot pie feast.
- Crunchy Exterior, Tender Interior: The key to these green bean ‘fries’ is the delightful combination of a crunchy exterior and a tender interior. The crispiness provides a satisfying contrast to the creamy pot pie, creating a textural experience that keeps your palate engaged.
- Light and Crispy Contrast: While the chicken pot pie offers comforting richness, the Crispy Green Bean ‘Fries’ provide a light and crispy contrast. This balance ensures that each bite is not only delicious but also contributes to a well-rounded and satisfying dining experience.
- Versatile Accompaniment: The versatility of Crispy Green Bean ‘Fries’ makes them a perfect accompaniment to various dishes, including the creamy pot pie. They act as a refreshing side that adds both visual interest and a burst of flavor to your dinner spread.
In summary, these Crispy Green Bean ‘Fries’ are more than just a side dish—they’re a playful and flavorful addition that brings a light and crispy contrast to your chicken pot pie. With their fun appeal and delightful texture, they are sure to become a favorite among both kids and adults at your dinner table.
In conclusion, choosing the perfect side dishes for your chicken pot pie can elevate your dining experience to new heights. From the classic comfort of make-ahead mashed potatoes to the inventive twists of miso mashed potatoes and crispy green bean ‘fries,’ these 15 side dishes offer a diverse range of flavors and textures that will satisfy every palate. Experiment with these options, and let your chicken pot pie dinner become a culinary masterpiece that leaves a lasting impression on your guests.
Answers To Your Questions
What side dish goes with pie?
Choosing the right side dish to accompany your pie can enhance the overall dining experience. Consider these options:
- Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes: The creamy texture and buttery flavor of mashed potatoes provide a classic and comforting pairing with pie.
- Roasted Vegetables: Whether it’s Brussels sprouts, carrots, or asparagus, the caramelized edges of roasted vegetables add a delightful contrast to the savory pie filling.
- Fresh Green Salad: A crisp, green salad with a zesty vinaigrette can provide a refreshing balance to the richness of the pie.
What is another name for chicken pot pie?
Chicken pot pie goes by various names, depending on regional preferences and culinary traditions. Some alternative names include:
- Chicken Pasty: Commonly used in the United Kingdom.
- Chicken and Pastry: Reflecting the dish’s primary components.
- Chicken Pie: A simplified name that omits the “pot” reference.
Can I eat chicken pot pie on a diet?
While traditional chicken pot pie may be high in calories and fat, there are healthier alternatives and modifications available:
- Vegetable Pot Pie: Opt for a version loaded with a variety of colorful vegetables and a lighter pastry or crust.
- Individual Servings: Control portions by preparing mini pot pies, helping you manage your calorie intake.
- Lean Proteins: Use lean chicken and reduce the amount of butter or cream in the filling to create a lighter option.
Is chicken pot pie an American dish?
Yes, chicken pot pie is considered a quintessentially American dish. Its roots can be traced back to early American settlers who adapted European meat pies to include local ingredients. Over time, it evolved into a beloved comfort food, commonly associated with American culinary traditions.
What vegetables go with chicken pie?
The vegetable choices to pair with chicken pie are diverse and can cater to personal preferences. Consider:
- Peas and Carrots: A classic combination that adds sweetness and color to the filling.
- Mushrooms: Provide an earthy flavor that complements the savory chicken.
- Spinach or Kale: Introduce leafy greens for added texture and nutritional value.
What bread goes with chicken pot pie?
Selecting the right bread can enhance the dining experience. Opt for:
- Buttery Biscuits: The flakiness of biscuits complements the richness of the pot pie filling.
- Crusty French Bread: Ideal for soaking up the savory sauce.
- Herb-infused Focaccia: Adds a flavorful and aromatic element to the meal.
What kind of salad goes with chicken pot pie?
A well-chosen salad can provide a refreshing contrast. Consider:
- Caesar Salad: The creamy dressing and crisp romaine lettuce pair well with the hearty pie.
- Arugula and Pear Salad: The peppery arugula and sweet pears add a delightful freshness.
- Cranberry Walnut Salad: A mix of tart cranberries and crunchy walnuts complements the savory flavors.
What to serve with vegetable pot pie?
When serving vegetable pot pie, consider sides that enhance the overall experience:
- Quinoa or Rice: Serve alongside to create a more substantial meal.
- Steamed Green Beans: Light and crisp, these beans add a vibrant touch.
- Herb-roasted Potatoes: Provide a satisfying and hearty accompaniment.
What sauce goes with chicken pot pie?
Add extra flavor to your chicken pot pie by pairing it with the right sauce:
- Tarragon Cream Sauce: The anise-like flavor of tarragon complements the chicken and vegetables.
- Mustard Cream Sauce: Adds a tangy kick that enhances the savory notes of the pie.
- Mushroom Gravy: A rich and earthy sauce that pairs well with the comforting flavors of the pot pie.